PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 03:13
happyguy99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey folks, I'm still here and in line for the cadet program. I thought I might share the timeline I have experienced so far as this is one of the main topics on this forum.

I applied for the cadet pilot program on the 16th June 2009. I received an automated email the same day saying that I "will be notified of the application outcome in 8 weeks." On the application I stated my preferred stage 1 location to be at home, 2nd preference Hong Kong.

I patiently waited 8 weeks and at the end of week 9 I emailed the recruitment team requesting the status of my application. I received a reply the same day stating "your application has already been received. Your application will be considered along with all other eligible applicants in your geographic area when we next select for interviews."

On 6th November 2009, 20 weeks and 3 days after my application, I received an email with an invitation for the 6th December 2009, 24 weeks and 5 days after application, stating "We wish to invite you to attend an initial Interview. The interview comprises a forty-five minute technical multiple-choice questionnaire, a reasoning test and an interview of approximately forty-five minute in duration with both personal and technical questions."

Naturally I accepted the invitation and received a further email with a medical questionnaire and job knowledge information booklet. The outcome of my 1st stage interview was made known to me on 1 January 2010, 28 weeks and 4 days after application.

On the 2nd January 2010 I received an email, following a prior phone call, which said "we hereby invite you to attend a Stage 2 and, if successful, a Stage 3 Cadet Pilot Programme Interview in Hong Kong on 16 to 17 January 2010," 30 weeks and 5 days after my application.

On 22nd January 2010, 31 weeks and 1 day after my application, I received a phone call stating, I was successful in stage 3, and inviting me to stage 4. I was told that since I have some flight experience I may be able to participate in a shortened course of which they still need to finalise with Flight Training Adelaide. They said I would hear from them again in approx one month.

I have heard from the recruitment team since. Last week they went to Adelaide to finalise, as is my understanding, whether or not they will be running a short course. I am expecting to find out at the end of this week. I asked, if I'm successful in Stage 4, when the course might start. I was told that at this time Cathay Pacific is over staffed with pilots and Cathay Pacific does its best to time the course start and finish date to coincide with when 2nd officer positions become available. At this time they think it may be around August this year. This was consistent with the information I received in the briefing at the end of stage 2, where we were told that there may be a stand down period between finishing the course and beginning work with Cathay Pacific. It makes sense economically, no point in training cadets and then not being able to put them to use.

This is all I can say with regards to my interview time-line for now, I'm happy to answer any questions. My advise to cadet wannabies is this, use the time you have between applying and your interviews wisely. I found the interviews with HR and management pilots enjoyable - probably because I was well prepared, they hardly asked a question that challenged me - in fact in this aspect I feel disappointed, however, pleased I was able to answer them admirably. The aptitude testing etc is difficult - find ways to practice your maths and improve your hand-eye coordination.

Time line

16 June 2009 - initial application
6 November 2009 - stage 1 invitation
6 December 2009 - stage 1 interview
1 January 2010 - stage 2 invitation
16/17 January 2010 - stage 2 and stage 3 interviews
22 January 2010 - information of success in stage 3 and expectation for stage 4
23 Fabuary 2010 - phone call asking me to give them another week
2 March 2010 - phone call - negotiations with FTA for short course starting following week, next contact 16 March 2010.

Last edited by happyguy99; 26th Jan 2011 at 11:40.