PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 01:04
midman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 747 flight (long range) was crewed normally, to full complement by non-striking cabin crew. No volunteers as obviously the vols haven't been trained on the 747, They provided the full service in every cabin with every seat sold. The flights here for all 3 strike days were similarly full provided with a full service from full cabin crew complement.

So a great day for Bassa?

The real shame that Bassa supporters should feel is from the intimidation that the non-strikers have felt. The cabin crew were very scared of the consequences from their reps and from union supporters of coming to work, expecting to be harangued and abused by them as they overlapped in the hotel and at the airport. That they could feel that way shows the direputable way that the union operates, working as it does on the emotional and intimidatory level. It also shows their courage in taking the decision to work despite such potential conflict.

But cabin crew should not have any concerns in this area - the down route destinations have provided huge resources to ensure that there is no overlap, using different transport, hotel entrances and uniform changing facilities at the airport etc. There should be no fear that you will encounter any adverse comment. It was also made clear that anyone who might encounter the slightest issue in respect of intimidation, would have the immediate support and and positive action of the captain, the station manager, and some very senior BA managers who are down route at major destinations.

Our crews here are enjoying a relaxed time, able to chat with like-minded colleagues, commenting that the absence of the rhetoric and bile of the union militants is a refreshing change. (Perhaps a sign of things to come?)

As a consequence, having seen so many cabin crew report as normal for work, despite their obvious deep apprehension, I'm sure there must be thousands who went on strike purely because they fear the same retribution my crew felt. Those cabin crew who feel such concern should remove any doubt and report for work next weekend, as they will have a safe, enjoyable and conflict-free trip.

The true anti BA union supporters are very much in the minority - it is they who should be fearful of being on the wrong side of the argument, not the fair minded cabin crew who wish to work normally. Very soon we shall be seeing them exposed as the minority as they slowly wither on the periphery of the company, unable to take the loss in status that they perceive the strike will cause them.

The end is in sight, I believe.