PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2010, 23:50
regle

Eat carrots to see at night. Kaputar

"Scarecrow" came from the same box of myths as the title of the thread. There was extensive searching and interrogation after rhe war and no evidence was ever found to justify the existemce of what was labelled Scarecrow by the British crews as they had been told, probably to improve morale , that it was a false indication of a bomber exploding ... which it probably was. It is even possible , because Scarecrow came into the language later on in the Bomber Offensive, that it was the result of the aforementioned "Nacht Musak" where the catastrophic strike on the central fuel tank would have producd an enormous explosion. Especially if no tracer had been seen beforehand.
As to the tracer, I can't see anyone in the attacked aircraft being able to see tracer directed from directly underneath so the question could only be answered if the whole attack had been seen from another aircraft and I doubt that it ever happened because, to my knowledge, there is no record of such a sighting. Perhaps if we ever have a German point of view in the Forum we might get to know more but I am sure that our intelligence would have gone in to that sort of thing after the war.
Your very kind remarks about the sort of information that we few are still able to give you makes it more important to refresh our memories by posing these questions. I find that just the mention of a long forgotten event or detail brings back an astonishing amount when it is linked with something else that appears and ,"lo and behold" it all comes flooding back. I can still only remember one line from "Eskimo Nell" ..and though she grinned, she put the wind, up the other forty-nine, ! I will leave you with that profound thought. regle