PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Poor weather options
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2010, 18:39
Flingingwings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CJ,

Are you the same Devon based UAV pilot who enjoys diving and flying that posted this (28/9/09) too????

HeliTorque Helicopter Portal and Forums Forums-viewtopic-PPLs doing corporate work.

We all had to start somewhere. I hold a PPL with 2000 hrs and fly our company helicopters in a corporate role. I have made some very frightening airmanship decisions in the past and learned from them!

For example having to fly low level in bad weather and nearly hitting a cable, several times. Or crossing the Irish sea and encountering fog half way across.

What should be done about these decisions? Goodness knows but what price do you pay for experience?
When strangely enough one reply you received then suggested........

And I guess experience would remove the word 'having' from this sentence, no one ever has to go flying (in the civvy world) in bad weather trying to stay VMC no matter what excuses they have, they elect to and sometimes go beyond their own limits (which are often above the legal minimums) and make mistakes like that.

One thing is certain and that is, if all the pilots who have been killed in VFR into IMC kinds of accidents hadn't set of in the first place or landed earlier they would not have died where they did, when they did.

Last edited by Flingingwings; 22nd Mar 2010 at 18:51.