PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EZY INV-LTN diverted to EDI
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2002, 22:16
Gaza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
obvious use of ironic humour
Raw Data - There is a fine line between irony and sarcasm and I read your post as the latter. As you have apoligised for any misunderstanding, so will I.

I did not see your response as I was pasting Danny's comments at the same time.

(Raw Data To avoid any misunderstanding this next bit is general and not directed at you ) - Just for information I am not a journalist. I can also confirm that ajamieson is who he says he is. We have met and I have his business card. In today's Scotsman he has written an article abour Air Wales taking over the EDI-CWL route following Ba's decision to drop it. Hopefully the coverage that this received can help Air Wales make a success of the route and help them grow. Something I'm sure all involved, or having an interest, in aviation will support.

Article from todays Scotsman

Air Wales takes over Scots routes

Alastair Jamieson

A FLEDGLING airline is to restore air links between Scotland and Wales after British Airways dropped its services between Edinburgh, Glasgow and Cardiff.

Air Wales, a small airline founded three years ago by Swansea property tycoon Roy Thomas, will operate twice-daily flights between the two capitals from August.

Earlier this year, BA announced it was pulling out of the route altogether as the first part of a program of cutbacks aimed at stemming losses of up to £1 million a day. The decision left Scotland and Wales with no direct air link, forcing business travellers to use Bristol Airport or make a six-hour train journey instead.

Air Wales, which uses a tiny fleet of 19-seater Dornier 228 aircraft and currently flies from Cardiff and Swansea to Dublin, Cork and Jersey, will fly twice-daily on weekdays between Cardiff and Edinburgh and once daily between the Welsh capital and Glasgow. It will offer one flight on each route on Sundays.

Tickets are priced at £99 return.

Air Wales is purchasing two 46-seater ATR-42 aircraft to help cope with the demands of the new routes, which will begin on 12 August - in the same week that BA operates its last flights on the route.

The airline hit the headlines earlier this year when it announced it was introducing a full cabin crew service - with very short stewardesses.

Because of the size of the planes, the crew recruited were all 5ft 4in or under. The airline was not obliged under aviation rules to provide a cabin service because the aircraft held fewer than 20 passengers.

The decision to maintain the link between the two nations represents a victory for business passengers and for the tourism industry in both Scotland and Wales, and comes a week after the successful low-cost airline, bmi Baby, announced it was to base its second hub at Cardiff airport.

Bmi Baby, an offshoot of bmi British Midland, already operates cheap flights to a number of European destinations from its base at East Midlands Airport.

Air Wales chairman, Roy Thomas, said: "Our new services between Wales and Edinburgh and Glasgow complete Air Wales’ celtic connection. The principality is now firmly linked to Ireland through services to Dublin and Cork from both Cardiff and Swansea Airports. We’ve already seen these services prove an enormous success and we’re hoping that our two new Scottish destinations prove equally successful.

"Strong air links between Scotland and Wales are vital for business between both nations and Air Wales is stepping-in to ensure flights are still available between Scotland and Wales.

"The damage that could have been done if this link had been broken is unimaginable, the only options left available would have been train and road journeys of huge length, in comparison with the hour and a half flight time on our services between Cardiff, Edinburgh and Glasgow."

He added: "We’re also hoping these new services will further encourage tourism between Wales and Scotland which we have seen take place with our other routes between Wales, Ireland and Jersey.

We’ll be laying on special one and two night deals with accommodation for people who want to make a mini-break, visiting Wales and Scotland."