PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS rears its head again
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2010, 10:03
Frank Arouet

Location: dans un cercle dont le centre est eveywhere et circumfernce n'est nulle part
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CaptainMidnight;

We seem to be minor players in this thread so I won't labour the point. The fact is that many gliders can and do operate up to FL350, (as in 35,000ft), winter soaring in class E airspace. Most I imagine are radio equipped but having no means of generating electricity are limited to activities which are generally mentioned in NOTAMS.

You mention,

I think you mentioned earlier a guesstimate re the numbers, and said they needed to be factored into any risk assessment. I agree
The thing is it is not a guesstimate but actual figures quoted from the latest RAA magazine.

They like gliders (under the self adminsitration of GFA, HGF, etc), need to be factored into this debate because they are a fact of life. They are additional to RAA figures.

I am an ardent supporter of "alerted see and avoid" so have misgivings about people flying where radio or a TXP are mandatory and would be sensible for safe flight.

Again, at great risk of showing my age, I was of the belief that radio was mandatory for flight above A050 (5,000ft). But I owned an Auster with no electrics then, so perhaps I am a dinoursaur. But do people have to make me extinct before I'm even dead.

If I were a frog I would be a protected species.

Sorry if I offended.