PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would you do?? Advice please..
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2010, 09:19
Old and Horrified

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had to make a very simimilar decision back in 1982 when I lost my F/O job when Laker went bust. It took me a couple of months to get another job, but in a completely different field (computing, in fact). Six months later I was offered a temporary flying job but decided, after tough debate with the family, that the prospects where I then was, were much better. I did not accept the offer and carried on developing my new career. It turned out that the temporary flying job only lasted a few months.
The surprise came about 3 years later when I was once more offered a flying job, but by this time my salary expectations had become way more than I was being offered so, despite the lure of getting back to the cockpit and away from 9 to 5 I turned it down once more.
Looking back - it was definiitely the right decision to turn down these temporary jobs. I was able to provide well for my family in my new career. I still to this day miss flying enormously, but its easy to stay involved in aviation. And you never know what will come in a couple of years. If I get offered a job with only a three year old IR and 4000 hours on DC-10 and Tridents, maybe you will as well.
Good luck!