PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New military aviation 'body' to set up.
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2010, 20:10
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
theprior:
However, it is the right thing to do.
Thank you for your post tp, whether or not it be in response to mine. The issue of course is what the "it" is to which you refer above. If it is the establishing of an MAA, then I am in full agreement with you. If it is the establishing of an MAA along the lines proposed by H-C, then there is where we go our separate ways I fear. You rightly say that there is a dearth of trained engineers over the last two decades and that is bad enough, but there must surely be a complete lack of them experienced in the proper enforcement of the UK Military Airworthiness Regulations as that has not happened for even longer. Given that was due to a deliberate policy of suborning the Regulations at the highest levels, military, civilian and political, within the MOD then the MAA provides no assurance that the same cannot happen again, no matter how good its head might be. It is not fair to him, to those who serve him, to those who will fly in the aircraft that he is responsible for, or even the wretched tax payer who has to pay for it all. The only way that the MAA can hope to work as intended is if it be sistered with the CAA, ie with those experienced in supervising a regulatory regime, and thus kept separate and independent of the MOD. I know there are many obstacles in the way of that, but it allows for the baby to grow unmolested by those who would otherwise harm it. This isn't only a job for those who know their stuff but for those who are determined to do their stuff come what may. If that "what" be senior to those within the MAA, then it needs to lie outside of such reach. With successive SoS's, let alone whole formations of Air Marshals, standing by the infamous Mull finding by Air Marshals Wratton and Day, such "what" goes to the very top of the MOD. Enforcement is the key here. It can only be guaranteed if the MAA lies without the MOD.
Let us hope at least that we can keep this tentative ball in play here. This site is for professional aviators, this forum for those of a military persuasion. If something as crucial as the proper enforcement of regulations providing for the very airworthiness of our aircraft does not involve everyone who claims to be a professional then the beancounters were right. Scrub the lot and hope for the best. Just don't offer to take me along for a ride!