PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recommended routes
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2010, 18:30
Leezyjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad advice above re Lakenheath and Mildenhall: they will NOT let you go through their ATZ only their wider MATZ.They will however give you an excellent radar service and keep you clear of the heavy metal. Contrary to popular opinion they do speak English.
As I was the first one to mention them, I assume you are referring to me, and I don't think I even mentioned an ATZ or MATZ in my post, oh and BTW they WILL let you into the ATZ if you ask and they are not busy.

I was flying with a friend in 2 separate a/c and I had gone a slightly different way to him, but we were both receiving a radar service from Lakenheath so I could still hear him. He asked to decend for a closer look and they told him to call Mildenhall tower who were happy for him to decend and transit through their ATZ. On another flight through their MATZ I had an excellent view of the C130 that descended on the ILS into Mildenhall about 2-3 miles away from me .

And Duxford will not want you anywhere near their overhead either as they often have display practice on the go.
As others have said, I've never had an issue either. I like to route via their overhead to see what delights they have outside on the 'pan.

What was that bit about "bad advice" ?.

Last edited by Leezyjet; 21st Mar 2010 at 19:01.