PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Degree in Aircraft Maintenance Engineering
Old 21st Mar 2010, 13:39
nodrama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Davy07,

I'm currently doing the Glamorgan BSc Aircraft Maintenance Engineering course. I already have fix-wing/ rotary licenses and alot of civil aviation experience. I'm doing the B1.3 (rotary) top-up route, so the course does offer a helicopter syllabus, but the majority of the course is still fix-wing based.

If you're looking at doing a degree course such as this to obtain EASA maintenance licenses and get into civil aircraft maintenance, I wouldn't recommend it (the learning route that is, not the course). If you haven't got the background knowledge and experience already, you'd be letting yourself in for alot of hard work. You'd be better off committing that time, energy (and money) into concentrating on just getting the licenses......the degree won't make you any more employable and without being able to back it up with experience, I think, would be pretty meaningless.

My reasons for doing the degree are for self-satisfaction, proffessional development and to aid a move into a different part of the aviation industry.

Last edited by nodrama; 21st Mar 2010 at 13:41. Reason: grammar