PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2010, 12:26
Mmmayday38

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TheGypsy

Maybe no-one physically forced me out of BA, however for the sake of my sanity,marriage and family I felt emotionally forced out. I have been approached since with ex-colleagues/friends questioning whether I was in the right frame of mind to make this decision but at the time it seemed the only thing possible. I had also been given an informal nod that I would have a job to go to and this appeared like an escape route.

You were the only person who ever voiced (and even then it was after I had already left - due to no fault of your own) the thought that other large airlines would refuse to take me based on the premise of the crash and publicity. No-one at BA, either management or union ever passed that thought or suggestion - when they knew I was thinking of leaving.

I have over 13,000 hours total on heavy jets all multi-crew
Almost 10,000 hours on 777 with over 3,500 hours as PIC
I hold a current ICAO ATPL
My english language is fluent
I am current - within 12 months
I have a valid medical

With the above qualifications I more than qualify for an interview with an airline recruiting for 777. I deserved an interview, yet as you have rightly pointed out NO interview came. So what would the reasoning behind that be?

***(obviously I've applied to other airlines with a lot smaller aircraft, I have not been surprised that I've not had an interview with them as I am not type-rated and there are more than enough type-rated pilots out there who deserve the job above me)***

Other pilots who have had crashes have been interviewed and succesfully became employed. So why is mine different?

The high profile nature of it and media attention around me?

Is this my fault? The immediate aftermath of the crash and media attention was invoked due to the company I was flying for and the airport we impacted into. This was not my fault. The AAIB have ruled it was not my fault. The AAIB have commended my actions.

Therefore 'thegypsy', should I assume that you are inferring that from my moment of impact on 17 Jan 2008, I had become unemployable to the rest of the airlines worldwide?

I remained silent until the final report was released. I had already been refused an interview by these various airlines BEFORE my website/BBC TV interview/mention of our book. Therefore, it goes back to the fact that airlines must have been put off by the publicity that surrounded the actual crash, not MY website etc.

I will make the future better for my family and I. As I say in my blog, there are times I get bitter but when those times happen I have to push them to one side. I cannot allow myself to wallow. It is sad and it isn't fair but as a family we will turn this around.

Sadly, 'thegypsy' your prediction has come true, and if anything, let this be a warning to unsuspecting future pilots who are unfortunate to be involved in a high profile incident.