PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2010, 11:23
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peter,
Without knowing the "ambience" that you felt going to work I don't think it is fair that any of us pass judgement on your leaving decision, and I hope nobody would have the cheek to criticise any decision you make as regards contact with the press, finally we all need to eat.
With the benefit of hindsight it is all too easy to say that you should have secured some commitment from another company before taking the plunge, but it was your call on the day.
Perhaps too, the long term effects of this accident could also have manifested themselves in an ¡ncreased sensitivity to perceived criticism, but to be honest I think that is just touchy-feely BS, and you were merely hurt and piqued by the veneer of respect shown by some who knew cack all, that in reality cloaked back stabbing snipes at your professionalism.
Knowing you had done the right thing, whilst feeling at the same time "gagged", and even ,for chrissakes, not trusted, is indeed not a very healthy working environment.

All of us here (well the ones that count anyhow, I won't speak for a few "notable" exceptions) have admired your patient handling of sometimes inane criticism/probing into, your actions that day. It is only partially possible for us to imagine the frustration of having 30 very frantic unrehearsed seconds of your life replayed in slo-mo and subjected to conjecture by some who frankly appeared not to know their @rse from their elbow.

One unfortunate by product of your participation in this forum, and through TV interviews, your website and the book, is that you can be perceived by H.R. Dept's of various airlines as a "personality/celebrity".
I fully understand in the modern soundbite era how you have ended up in this situation, however, it remains a sad fact of life that most of the "human resources" types (and indeed CEO'S/ Chief Pilots ) do not want someone with a "personality" or even an "opinion" on their hands.
The old joke concerning how a line pilot would like his chief pilot to refer to him, when mentioned . . . " I would like him to say WHO ? " springs to mind here.
Hopefully some company with a modicum of imagination will see beyond your unchosen "circumstances" and employ you as "Capt Any Bloke" in the near future.
You deserve no less, we are all rooting for you, I know however that doesn't change much ,as DFO'S/ C.P.'s don't conduct a straw poll before offering positions.
You have a great deal of admiration from, & the support of, your peer group, I hope that is at least a crumb of comfort, whilst you get your life sorted.
All the best