PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would you do?? Advice please..
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2010, 09:24
Dan 98

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would you do?? Advice please..

Hi All,

In a real dilemma right now.

Experience: 1650hrs TT of which 1400hrs 737-300. Have not flown for 13 months.
Have the potential offer of 6 months flying over the summer so 5-600hrs plus currency etc...

Almost certainly unemployed again in November!

Current situation: Returned to previous career, stable, secure, Mon-Fri, Company car, pension, healthcare, similar earnings to SFO or (Captain on a very good year!!).......blah blah...

Married, 2 children, Mortgage - £230k....

So stay in safe job?

Or take leap of faith back into aviation and hope to god that come Dec 2010 -Feb 2011 some UK airlines are recruiting and I am current having flown over the summer?
Also that those airlines that are looking will employ FO's with experience (i'll have 2000+hrs) rather than those airlines that are recruiting just look at cadets with 200hrs (no offense to cadets with 200hrs intended I was in the same position 3yrs ago myself)

It is a worrying trend however that most UK airlines seem to not recruit experienced FO's at the moment, what will be the situation a year from now?

My thoughts are that if I want to get back to aviation it is now or never really as i will struggle if i leave it another year, just don't want to end up in the sh*t again because i will be unable to return to current career as a fall back if i go back to aviation and can't get a fulltime job after November!!

Anyone got any idea what recruitment will be like in 2011 in the UK??

I always thought it would be an easy decision to make but a toughie thats for sure.........

Cheers