PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Our Dilemma
Thread: Our Dilemma
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2010, 05:13
Red Wine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel that I should have been more focused on my statement, rather than a generalisation encompassing a number of scenarios.

We have many systems in place to mitigate the various physical risks and aspects of our demanding profession, however when it comes to the critical group, the pilot him/herself we rely on a half hour chat with medical professionals once or twice a year to be cleared to continue to undertake our profession.

The illness of Human Depression has recently raised its head with a high profile media person suffering this illness for many years until she could not stand her situation any longer.

I have seen two colleagues take the same path, one in the air and one on the ground.

Whilst I don’t wish to rake up the specifics of each case, I question what we as a group of professionals do when confronted with the signs that we know are not normal.

I appreciate it’s a minefield, however to do nothing when the bells start ringing maybe the worst action, but yet we have done just that.

And then to try to do the correct thing and make a mistake, can destroy both yourself and the innocent.