PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why 1.3 Vs for approach?
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2010, 17:22
Dakota435

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"As for the Buffalo accident, I have more than my fair share of knowledge about that one. I rode over to Farnborough on that aircraft, and was a jump seat observer for the show demo flight, two days before the accident. I had a limited background role in the investigation. The reduced energy to flare was an aspect in that accident, but it is my opinion that other factors were large contributing factors too.
16th March 2010 08:01"

I was at DH back then and I heard (from either Bob or Wally at the time) that they thought that Bill the pilot got caught by a bit of reduced performance windshear that ate into what little energy margin he normally had in doing that kind of on-the-edge STOL demo. Was that the crux of it?

OT, but funny how that 6 degrees of separation thing works: I 1990 I was bush flying for an air service in Sudbury and picked up a Globe and Mail travel reporter from a fishing lodge, who turned out to be Linda L, Bill's ex wife. He'd already left to do contract flying back in England. I believe he was killed in that Dash 7 crash in England some years back.