PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recommended routes
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2010, 14:09
madlandrover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a general rule also try to avoid routing via airfields (nice though it is to be in the overhead if the engine decides to make you a glider!) - particularly small GA airfields where traffic routinely carries out overhead joins at various random levels, or ones like Sywell with frequent aerobatic competitions in the overhead. Ideally fly the most expeditious route, ie as direct as possible - although as you've done, putting a few navaids in there is wise as long as you remember that everyone else will be too!

For info I'm doing something similar in a few days, with my route being: Private site near Leeds -> BKY -> BPK -> EGSG. Don't turn unless you actually have to... As others have said EMA are pretty good at giving transits, so I'd suggest using them as much as possible! Large airfields with radar vectored approaches are also the exception to my avoiding overheads preference - the chances of inbound traffic messing around in the overhead are pretty minimal, so crossing the overhead at 90 degrees to the active runway may well be the easiest transit for the controller to arrange. Worst thing they can do is say no!