PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2010, 12:49
TURIN

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts
Despite the T5 fiasco, BA turned a handsome profit, and paid bonuses accordingly. Even though Walsh was entitled to his based on the financial results, he elected not to take it and accepted responsibility for the T5 difficulties.
I think it was deferred. He got it the following year.

The Labour Party will almost certainly lose the general election in May and the Trade Unions will be severely restrained by a fiscally responsible Conservative government. This is therefore the last throw of the dice for a Labour movement firmly entrenched in the 1970s. The cabin crew are Unite's pawns in this power play and the losers are all of BA's staff and their hapless customers. The Labour Party meanwhile is not so much shackled to Unite as a willing partner and, as we now learn, fully paid up member in this destructive union movement.

I trust this has helped clarify some of the arguments raised in this forum.
Not really.

Dragging a private company dispute into the political domain does nothing to help at all as proven by the rantings of Call-me-Dave on PMQs this week.

Don't get me wrong, I do not support the CC in this dispute, wrong time, wrong issue, but employees need a collective movement to stop unscrupulous employers taking the p1ss.
BA are not in this instance doing that, but they will given half a chance as will any other employer.
This dispute has tarnished all TUs, as much as the disputes in the 70s and 80s did.
IMHO.