PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can medicine learn from aviation?
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2010, 12:19
lowcostdolly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HeathrowDirector good question re the checks. The answer is basically our checks are nowhere near as vigourous as those of a Pilot....and they should be.

Senior Surgeons have to submit their mortality stats on a regular basis. If these make for a grim read then Trusts start suspending operations in that field until investigated. Thank God we don't have the same approach in aviation

As for their Senior Physician colleagues and all grades in between I've no idea what pases for clinical supervision. Junior Docs practice their practical procedures on live patients under the supervision of a Registrar. When somebody last checked the Registrars competence I wouldn't know.

For me as a Nurse? Well I have to sign a form every 3 years that says I've completed 450 hours of clinical placements and 35 hours study/training relevant to my field. Nobody ever checks this out....it relies on my integrity.

Shoreguy in the UK at least you would not be allowed to take up a bed for 12 days post op hip replacement. We need the beds and your stay is free over here

Finances may have made a difference to your experience. If you were a straightforward hip replacement I cannot think of any prescription drugs you would need that would literally keep you on your back and unconscious for 12 days

Over here you are up on day 2 following post op X ray as we want to clear the bed for the next punter. In the US they may just want your money for a 12 day stay and who knows you may develope a DVT or chest infection that needs treating......

As for universal protocols well over here at least we could certainly do better. We could learn from aviation in this respect.