PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2010, 11:14
raguoC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In your post: A Spitfire Pilot Part 6 there was mention of Derek Olver and his wife Kay. Sadly Derek did not survive WW11. He died on the 15th March 1942 while training pilots near Grantham, Lincolnshire. I was told that one of his trainee (Free French - I believe) pilots clipped his wing and tragically there was no chance of survival. His wife Kay never really recovered from his loss. However unknown to her at the time of his death, after six years of marriage, my brother Derek John Richard Olver was preparing to make his appearance.

My mother, Kay remarried my father, Ward Ira Binkley, who was in the Canadian Intelligence Corps in 1945. They are no longer with us.

During the past few years, I have been doing some family tree research, which has taken in several branches. If anyone else has any further accounts of Derek Olver Acting Flying Officer, I would greatly appreciate any information so that I can pass it on to his son, grandson and granddaughters.

Thank you for your accounts.

The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight has frequently flown past our home in Lincolnshire. They bring with them memories of those brave young men of my parents' generation to whom I will forever be grateful.

Last edited by raguoC; 20th Mar 2010 at 21:55. Reason: removal of email address