PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ariben vs. Embry Riddle
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2010, 04:44
Aceninja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ariben vs. Embry Riddle

Hi guys,

I am thinking about going to either Embry Riddle (Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University - World's Leader in Aviation and Aerospace Education) or Ariben Aviator (Flight School and Flight Training Programs - Aviator Flight Training College) to pursue my flight training. I already have my PPL and do know that this is what I want to do for a living. Flying has been my hearts desire since I was a kid and I finally have the means to do it (although you might think I am crazy to do it in this economy). The way it stands, as of right now I have about 16 months of VA benefits remaining that I can use towards either college. I already have a lot of hours (96) going towards the Professional Aeronautics degree from Embry Riddle Online, but if I transfer over into the Aeronautical Science degree, I would only get less than half of that and would take me around 3 years altogether to finish up. Riddle also does not seem to offer a lot of multi engine time, even in their multi track program. But then again Riddle seems to be one of the best Aviation colleges out there, but would I be better off pocketing the change/not taking a loan and going to a school such as Aviator which does offer significantly more multi engine time? On one hand, there seems to be the Embry Riddle experience and taking college classes which I would probably enjoy, on the other hand I can just finish up my degree online with them in 2 semesters and continue my flight training elsewhere, which would be significantly cheaper with less money spent out of pocket.

However, in the long term, would that be a bad decision? Do people prefer Riddle grads to say most others, or is that just successful marketing propaganda?

Just thought I would ask to see what you guys think about it. I am not trying to start a "Riddle bashing" or "Aviator bashing" thread, just wanted to get your opinion on two different modules of training and their costs & benefits etc. Has anyone been to the aforementioned schools? What do you think?

Thanks for your input.