PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2010, 18:07
Chugalug2

Received 226 Likes on 70 Posts
What surprises me is that Chugalug2 hasn't commented yet despite him having knowledge of the older UHF homer, and being such a prolific contributor to this thread – I recall someone sometime back writing that the HP's intercom was set to UHF guard?; well here is a snippet of a post made by Chuggers in 29 Aug 2008 on the “Gaining an RAF … brevet” thread:
<<Regarding Violet Picture …. it was tied into the UHF T/R, by selecting ADF. If the recvr was tuned to Guard (243) then it became a means to home in on a Sarbe emergency beacon, and it was SOP to have this combination selected especially for Sea Transit. >>
Walter, you have it seems proved what you have maintained all along, that the HC2 could home in on a Covert Personal Locator Beacon thanks to an easily rackable removable fit . Don't, I beg you, snatch defeat from the jaws of victory by seeing me as someone concealing that information. All I know about such things is pretty well summed up by the quotation above, ie we had a fit in the Hastings which merely fed a L/R meter on the instrument coaming. I suspect that the technology has moved on in leaps and bounds since then, the only common denominator being the twin aerials common to both systems it would seem. I know nothing about such fits in the Chinook, I never flew the Chinook, it has always been my firm belief that the Almighty never meant wings to go round and round! I left military flying in 1973 (yes, I know!). Congratulations on your success it only goes to show, as with so much of this scandal, that if you keep on digging something of interest will surely turn up!
Chug