PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2010, 16:08
fredjhh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PILOT TRAINING in UK, WW2

REEPLY TO RMVENTURI

The decision to fly only one pilot was made in February/ March 1942, as I understood. As soon as a pilot was cleared to fly solo, he flew with another pupil in the 2nd seat, simply to allow quick changeovers on circuits and bumps. The second pilot logged it as “Passenger time.” When crewed up for training and cross country exercises, the crew was as you describe it. All navigators were originally given the “O’ wing showing them as qualified Navigators and Bomb-Aimers. When the new Bomb - Aimers were awarded their B/A wings the Observers were supposed to wear the new “N” badge, but many persisted in wearing “O”, at least on their Best Blue uniforms. My crew at Snaith had two “Observers” and they both wore the “O” wing. F/O Dothie was the navigator and F/O Nock was the Bomb-Aimer. We picked up a Flight Engineer and Mid-Upper Gunner at Riccall. Nock had a broken finger and did not fly with me the night we were shot down.
The five man crew was what we operated with at St Eval. On three trips I had a newly qualified pilot attached as a “Second Dickie,” but they were destined for Coastal Command. For Observer use Navigator, - the same thing.
Ten hours flying at 300 feet to 800 feet with no second pilot was a pain, especially if “George” packed up. fredjhh