PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA-5A, GY-80, S.205, SA.202 or what else?
Old 19th Mar 2010, 15:21
john ball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Sa205 is like buying a 1960's Alfa, which is very classic, but I suspect parts will be very expensive and as it is a rare aircraft will have limited resale value. In fact almost exactly the same for the GY80 except 1960's Citroen. I always buy aircraft with the thought that one day I will want change or upgrade and thus want something that is easy to sell and maintain whilst i own it. Why do you think both of these hardly sold when they were new ? -- Poor performance, costs compared with the boring but capable Cessna 172 and Piper PA28. Your idea of the Grumman AA5 is the best option, but if I were you, I would buy the AA5B Tiger which is 180hp rather than 160hp of the AA5A Cheetah. Go for fixed gear and prop as the speed advantages of a 180hp with retract and VP are going to be nothing - maybe 10-15kts but almost twice the running costs -- i know as I owned a complicated Comanche and a simple Robin at different times. The AA5 series are all nice to fly and always cheap to maintain.