PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC
Thread: IMC
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2010, 10:11
VMC-on-top

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMC: "Easy" to get, cost efficient and probably(?) learnes you 95% of what you will ever need in real life as a PPL. But you still can't go anywhere because it is UK only and I can't imaging myself going fo a leasure flight round the flagpole in IMC - I am like to need the IR when going cross country, and that is likely to be across the channel
IO540 beat me to it!

The idea of getting the IMCr (as so many have said on here before) is not to go round in IMC all day. I did my IMCr last year and I've climbed / descended through clouds dozens of times. Do I have any intention of flying a relatively long route (300+ miles) in solid IMC? Not a chance, I can tell you.

As IO said, if you have the money, then do the IR and buy an N reg to sit in airways on AP drinking coffee all day. For me, I'm in a Warrior group and plan to do much more European touring, which technically I can do VFR on top (in sight of the ground) and that's plenty enough for me. I suspect the sort of flying you want to do is very similar to me and on that basis, I would say do the IMCr.

Last edited by VMC-on-top; 19th Mar 2010 at 12:47.