PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to set power for best range & endurance
Old 19th Mar 2010, 06:47
lookahead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capt Smithy:
By your method of leaning, will the resultant mixture be slightly ROP EGT since you enrich slightly after the rpm drop?

To get the best SFC, I would have to be slightly LOP EGT. So does that mean I don't enrich after getting the rpm drop?

Tinstaafl:
Thanks for your suggestion on the method for best endurance in a fixed pitch. That is what I've been looking for. Does this "minimum power setting to hold altitude" results in an airspeed that is the same or very close to Carson's formula for best endurance speed (best glide speed / 1.316)?

As for best range power setting in a fixed pitch, I don't quite understand. Do you mean that at my desired cruise level, I reduce throttle and trim for straight and level until I reach the best glide speed. Next I lean mixture to slightly LOP EGT, followed by increasing throttle and further leaning to get the corresponding slightly LOP EGT. Repeat until full throttle is reached. The airspeed will still be maintained at best glide speed. Is that correct?

Also, I'd like to clarify on the terms "best economy" and "best endurance".
Best economy refers to a fuel/air mixture that gives optimal combustion. So to get best economy above 3,000 ft, we lean the mixture to slightly LOP EGT.
Best endurance on the other hand refers to the power setting that gives the lowest fuel flow (gallons/hr), thus allowing maximum time aloft.
Is my understanding correct?