PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS rears its head again
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2010, 03:33
Capn Bloggs

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Dick,
However, we use large amounts of C airspace controlled by a single Controller in the D airspace below. This is the reason other countries have E above D. They wish to allocate their safety resources effectively, and don’t want the concentration of a Controller in D airspace close to the runway to be affected by having to provide a Class C service at the same time when the risk of collision is far less.
When are you going to get it into your head that ATCs say there is no extra workload running C as opposed to E?

So let's run with your theory for a minute. We have E airspace running happily (with IFR jet pilots peering out the window looking for those un-alerted VFRs). Then we change the airspace to C:

1. Now the controller is overloaded and the system grinds to a halt. What does that tell me? There is so much VFR traffic (posing a threat to fare-paying passengers) that we needed that separation service in the first place!

or

2. The system still runs nicely and the controller is not overloaded. That tells me that there is not that much VFR activity. SO WHY NOT JUST USE C? It doesn't cost any more and it provides better safety! You have to talk to an ATC for a clearance, but surely that is better that endangering the lives of fare-paying pax or are you so selfish that you don't want to do that?

If there are controller workload issues in the terminal area, then that has very little to do with C verses E and more to do with the size of the volume being managed.

As for your persistent mentioning of C and B, do you really understand the difference between the two? Effectively there is NONE. Your continued harping on ICAO airspace only serves to highlight that basically, all the ICAO controlled airspaces are just that - controlled airspace; with the exception of Class E, where you are quite happy to allow BIG jets to "mix it" with no-radio VFRs, and at places like BME and KTA, with no radar or ADS-B! You must be off your rocker or extremely selfish.

The brutal fact is that, just like we had in Australia 30 years ago, effectively there are only two types of airspace: controlled and uncontrolled. Except for the lemon, Class E.

The “upside” of the plan (not my plan)
"Not my plan"? Oh come on, pull the other one!

Would you prefer that current Ds become C?
Yes, Freedom7, that would be logical. But then Dick wouldn't be able to get his fabled "implied clearance" into the zone.

And yes, Howa, I wonder when Dick will give us A above 180 like the yanks. Then I could operate in a block from 230-250 as is my want occasionally.