PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JSF and A400M at risk?
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2010, 01:45
SSSETOWTF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LO,

If you or Mr S have taken offense that's too bad. I'm afraid I sit in flight briefs almost every day where one of the first things mentioned is the flight number for that airframe. So I know his facts are inaccurate. Maybe that's why my front porch isn't clogged with lawyers.

I get the impression that a lot of people are missing the point of the F-35. To my mind the reason so many countries and Services want the airplane isn't really for the stealth, or the basing flexibility. Those are very nice-to-haves most days of the week (admittedly they're essential for some such as a SEAD day). The thing that F-35 brings to any/every role that you chose to operate it in though is the sensor suite and the information & awareness it gives the pilot.

I'm sure there are many CAS pilots out there who'd leap at the chance to take a Skyraider in low over Nacho Grande again, into flak so thick you can walk on it. Or an A-10. If we're doing that, I'd fancy my chances in a good old WWII Hawker Typhoon with a load of rockets myself (with sharks' teeth painted on the front of course). But CAS has evolved somewhat and the platform with the best sensors is king (which is why the mighty AV-8Bs were so popular in OIF - because of their Litening II). F-35 has an unparalleled suite of sensors built in, so I reckon it's going to be a pretty popular CAS airplane - it will have a true (i.e. not exaggerated, like many of the current claims are) day/night/through-the-weather capability to prosecute tactical targets.

Good points about the Filthistan runway. Of course the -B will be able to operate off very short strips and bits of road, which is a fine capability to have up your sleeve. But when you come to set up a FARP for real, it's much easier if there are some facilities, even poor quality ones, already in place - taxiways, an ATC tower, some hangars (even ones with holes in them), buildings to live and work in, water supply, power etc. If the runway is really poor, it'll still be a good base to throw your AM2 matting down on, which will save you a lot of work. Which is why I mentioned the 3-6000ft airfields.

Regards,
Single Seat, Single Engine, The Only Way To Fly