PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calculating Approach speed --additions
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2010, 00:41
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by ak7274
And on a lighter note. As a low hours PPL I have learnt one thing from this thread.

Instructors are neither gods nor always right, if they can argue they will and at the expense of some one like me, who read these threads hoping to improve my flying skills. I am more confused now than I was at the start. Thanks for not a lot.
Bottom line is simple. You fly the airplane don't let it fly you. You want to get better at landing in adverse conditions work at flying accurate approaches on the good days. Try to keep approach speed + - 2 knots and aim for a nice constant approach path right to your selected touchdown point. The skills you building are the essence of what will keep you safe on the ugly days. If you feel you need to add some extra airspeed, you can, understanding that it will need to be shed prior to touchdown, but I bet instead you will find an accurately flown approach at the normal airspeeds with prompt corrections to airspeed and flight path deviations will actually be easier to fly and safer than just adding a bunch of airspeed according to some arbitrary formula

Finally if conditions are bad don't force the approach. If you are feeling like things are not going right.... go around. Full power and a wings level slight nose up attitude will make things better pretty much regardless of the situation.