PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Peter Collins and the Eurofighter Typhoon?
Old 18th Mar 2010, 20:44
cessnapete

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Obi Offiah

Obi, I've done some research and my impeccable journalistic sources report that Pete Collins can, at present, only compare the Rafale FBW Digital FCS, that he evaluated airborne during his FLIGHT assessment at Istres in 2009, with the Typhoon FBW Digital FCS, reproduced in the RAF Typhoon Simulator, that he evaluated at RAF Coningsby in 2008.

However, on the basis of what he saw and what he evaluated, Pete Collins's personal opinion would still be to strongly rate the Rafale Digital FCS as giving the better pilot 'fighter type' handling characteristics of the pair, irrespective of the fact that he believes that the Eurofighter advanced control laws are still highly adequate as a similar, very advanced and very agile fighter. According to PC, the Rafale remains the best handling aircraft (by a long way) of the 34 fighter/fighter trainer types he has flown to date.

I know that aircraft handling chararcteristics can be a very personal pilot 'subject' but perhaps a clue as to how good the Rafale is to manoeuvre is that the French Air Force Rafale won the individual 'Best Display' this year at RIAT?"