PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A call for Passive Aggressive retaliation against BA Cabin Crew strikers
Old 18th Mar 2010, 17:07
VS1711

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A call for Passive Aggressive retaliation against BA Cabin Crew strikers

I'm flying BA this weekend, making me one of the lucky 65% of BA passengers who's travel plans haven't been ruined by Unite.

I understand the anger of BA CCs that their jobs aren't what they used to be but really, what makes them so special? Being a pilot ain't what it used to be. Being an investment banker ain't what it used to be. Even politicians can't cheat on their expenses like they used to. Joking aside, we're in the worst recession ever. People aren't flying. Count yourself lucky to have a job. Even if it's 10% worse than it was, it's not like you're being asked to fly six sectors a day flogging phonecards on commission, is it?

As paying punters it can seem like our only sanction is to boycott the airline, which is what Unite want. They want our actions to hurt BA, thus multiplying the effects of theirs. I'd propose we find a way to make the pain felt among the cabin crew, by showing them what hard work really is.

I would never advocate being abusive or doing anything that could compromise air safety. But once the strikes are over, and the strikers are back on BA flights, I think all BA passengers should make a policy of being the most annoying, demanding and brusque passengers they can possibly be. Ring the call button obsessively. Demand endless supplies of soft drinks, pillows and rugs. Return their greetings with blank stares and if you're in the least bit dissatisfied with any aspect of the crew's performance make sure to get their name and send a letter of complaint.

If BA are making life 10% harder for their crews out of financial expediency, let's see if we can't make it another 10% harder by showing them what it's like to work in a place where no-one thanks you for simply doing your job, no-one returns a smile from a stranger and the slightest drop in performance can lead to you explaining yourself to a superior. In short, let's show them what it's like to work in an office.