PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2010, 13:00
AlexanderB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I had mine late november last year.

There are two math tests,

One is on aviation math (basic multiplication, division, percentages, decimal multiplication. Mainly problem solving and logic type questions. eg. two aircraft take off simultaneously from two separate bases x kilometres apart and fly towards each others bases at 200 knots and 350 knots, at what point time do the aircraft pass each other? Sorry to be so vauge though as it is on the actual test). This test requires exact answers correct to two decimal places and you are allowed paper and a pencil for working. I think if you were to put in a heap of effort on studying for the tests then these sorts of questions would take precedence as you really have to think about the question.

What I'd really be doing is practicing multiplication of large numbers (eg. 24x 182), division of large numbers and decimals (eg. 80 divided by 1.6 is the same as 800 divided by 16... much simpler for me) and working on distance speed and time questions as well as the conversion between units (eg. m/p/h and km/h). Also learn the 60 times table as it is really usefull for questions involving speed and time. I'll see if I can dig up some of the sources I used for revision and send it to you.

The second test is multiple choice and very interesting. It'll throw questions at you like 8045 divided by 3020 and multiplyed by one quarter and you're not allowed to use any paper to work the questions out (generally you can see which answers are out of the ball park). It doesn't hurt to round the figures down to the nearest thousand and work from there. The big emphasis on this one is time, don't get strung up on any one question. The same goes for the first test especially.

BTW, Did the recruiters tell you what tests in particular you didn't do so well on?

Feel free to PM me if you need a bit more info.

Good Luck