PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kiwi B777 burst 12 tyres in aborted takeoff at NRT
Old 18th Mar 2010, 11:00
4PW's

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The word is the autothrottle was not engaged for the takeoff. The Word goes on to say that, on reaching for the MCP's A/T engage switch, the handling pilot pressed the autopilot engage switch by mistake at the commencement of the takeoff roll. Not rated on the B777, I'm informed said switch is similarly located and looks the same as the A/T switch. More informed sources may say otherwise.

Moving on: apparently the flight crew did not notice the FMA change to CMD on the PFD, but they did notice the A/T didn't engage. Whatever, I wasn't there. The decision to continue was made and the thrust levers advanced manually. V1 was called, a trusty hand came off the TL's and, when VR was called, pulled back, along with his other trusty hand..... yet nothing!!!

Gladly, **** did not turn to trumps. They rejected. Pretty well done too. The word from on-high went on to suggest the abort occured at V2 + 20 kts....so the situ was very serious from thereonin.

I've had five RTO's as operating crew: two were for HPSOV valves not locking out at low speed - Master Caution, had to stop; another was upon seeing an A340 barreling in from the left as we took off on 18 at EDDF. He was on 25.

One other was on Tower's command. Our's was a late tkof clearance after having lined up behind a landing who exited beyond the Tower-anticipated HST. We had one up our chuff on final, a 73, and, with us now rolling merrily along at around 60 or 70 knots, Tower called the abort. The B737 was ordered to go-round. There was one more, a low speed reject but the details are sketchy. It was a long time ago. I did not perform the reject. The Captain on the day did.

On each RTO, my heart was pumping harder than a whore's in church.

Air NZ did a great job. So they 'allegedly' had some finger trouble. **** happens. It's happened before; it'll happen again. I was once told that if all things are equal and gross negligence is not a contributing factor then it matters not how you got into the problem, but how you get out of it. So I say bravo to the Air NZ crew. Life has probably gotten a little tough for youse lately. Hang in there. I wish I could say more to help...