PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bush Flying Jobs
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2010, 07:57
CathayBrat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What companies operate in the Congo, Malawi and Angola?
Lots of bad ones, a few good ones, helps if you fly and talk russian in DRC and little congo and angola. Not sure about Malawi, there was a small operator there a while ago, cant remember the name. But alot of embraer's in angola as well, local reg but some SA pilots there, maybe through nature link.

What is the likely hood of a Low hour guy being employed?
Depends. If you go with eyes open and mouth shut (about maint, living conditions etc), fairly good, as seat warmers needed. Also alot of companies up here like SA pilots as they usually know which way is up! Unlike some of the guys i've come across. But your best bet is to do the rounds at FALA, been a big increase of contract work so guys are looking for pilots, but with low hrs be prepared to beg, plead or sell your 1st born child! Aero service here may be looking soon, fly casa 212, bn2, c404, c402, but learn french.
Are there any surveying companies operating there?
Yup, loads, but all SA companies like fugro, so u will have to go through them is SA
When is the peak/low seasons and when is the best time to head up?
If you stay out of the touristy places like Bots, there is no season. Most of the companies fly for the mining/oil industries which are 365 days a year. And most baby pilots head to bots as that was where alot of people got their first job, so compatition is huge.
How tough is it to get licences in the Congo, Malawi, Tanzania and Angola?
$$$, paperwork, leg work and $$$. But TZ was a nice suprise, very easy, but the nice lady behind the counter will be a pain to you, untill she issuses the license, then shes v nice.
Any advice on how not to get screwed with a newby like myself heading up there?
Luck. you will need lots of it, to be in the right place at the right time. And dont come north of the limpopo thinking africa is the same as south, unlike some babys i've met, or it will be a big surprise. Eyes wide open, perserverance, and an easy going attitude.

Will answer any other questions later, off to the beach to recover as paddys day was fun, and the boss gave me a day off.
Cheers
Brat