PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2010, 00:01
regle

Taxydual

I meant to answer this in my previous thread. Taxydual, flying straight and level over the target was absolutely vital not to get the photograph but to make sure that you got the aiming point . I would estimate that this was carried out faithfully by 75% of all the crews and there would be keen competition amongst Squadrons for the most aiming points on the photos each month. Whilst not employing the American method of the automatic pilot being linked up with the famous Nordern gunsight during the whole of the bombing run , you virtually handed control of the aircraft to the Bomb Aimer and followed his instructions immediately. You kept it straight and level with the agreed constant airspeed and then followed the famous "Right or Left left " which was given by him. The repeat of the left call was to make sure that the pilot did not misunderstand. In anticipation "No, I was never told "Back a little, Skipper " I am sure that you will remember my most weird straight and level run across the target, Berlin, when a Messerschmidt 109 formated slightly ahead and below my port side , pointed at his guns and shrugged his shoulders and accompanied me on my bombing run before saluting and halfrolling into a dive . Oh for a camera ! regle