PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DAMP Testing
Thread: DAMP Testing
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2010, 12:30
Back Pressure

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Going back to the original question

"With all aviation employers now requiring a Drug and Alcohol test prior to employment, Why is this not done as part of the Class 1 Medical Renewal?"

Why don't employers simply report to CASA that they have a new employee and 'hint' that a 'visit' by the testing people is in order ?

I ask this because, by my limited understanding of this issue, any test done as part of a 'random check' cannot be billed to the person being tested - it's paid for by CASA (or whoever) as part of the ongoing 'services' to the industry. I don't see why workers in the aviation industry should have to pay up-front for "proof of innocence" tests which are not required in any other industry sector that I can think of (don't mention ASIC !).

I can understand why an employer would want to see the test result before hiring someone - it indemnifies them to a degree in the event of an unfortunate incident, but I can't believe the legislation actually requires employers to demand this. Am I wrong ?

Surely the intent of the legislation is to apprehend evildoers on the job, not to impose unreasonable and expensive burdens on people trying to earn a living.

Am I completely wrong ? How wrong ?????