PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JSF and A400M at risk?
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2010, 03:29
SSSETOWTF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LO,

Chap, it was hardly a vent. Mr Sweetman had been quoted again as a great authority. I re-made the point that I don't subscribe to that point of view, based on my personal knowledge (because my office is an awful lot closer to the flightline than his). But no, I'm afraid it would be totally inappropriate for me to deploy my facts on a website - if you want facts may I suggest you contact the JSF Program Office who I'm sure will be happy to help you (and Mr Sweetman to get his story straight).

I'm afraid I struggle to see what on earth you're on about with the 'personal attacks' comment? Could you help me out? Rest assured though, I don't need counseling - the frustrations of reading some of the nonsense written about the program are vastly out-weighed by the fun I have every day.

S41,

A comprehensive answer to your question would take an awful lot of space, and LO would probably accuse me of ranting again, but the CONOPS make a lot of sense to the people that have to use them. If you're planning on taking over an existing bare-base ashore and pushing your aircraft forward, you have many more options available to you if you can work off unimproved 3000-6000ft strips without arresting gear, as opposed to needing 10000ft and a cable at both ends. If you're working off a 'small' deck LHA/D, the ship has a shallower draft than a CVN and can get that much closer to the beach. In both cases you don't need the long legs of a -C, and you need the lift fan of the -B. I'm quite sure the USMC have done their math, put a lot of pins in a map of all the short runways in the world and come to the conclusion that the -B fits their requirements nicely. The airplane may cost a little more, but you save quite a bit of cash not having to train for cats & traps (ie needing a training aircraft and all that deck time), not having to recruit & pay & pension dozens of deck crew on each boat to man the cats and steam generators etc. Similarly the USN requirement for the -C (and its longer range) is based on the fact that it will need those legs to fly some of its missions from the CVOAs.

You bring up a very good point though, the inability of the -B to bow at airshows, and to taxi with the canopy open are major design flaws, but I guess we'll have to live with them.

Regards,
Single Seat, Single Engine, The Only Way To Fly