PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Make your own approach plates?
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2010, 00:09
Big Pistons Forever

Received 133 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by what next
Hello!

I am an instructor, not a student's money saver. If his training plan requires NDB approaches to be flown, then I will happily fly NDB approaches with him. Proper, published, official NDB approaches that he can log in his training records. Real world NDB approaches using real world (aeronautical) NDBs down to real world NDB approach minima, often enough in real instrument meteorological conditions. Only this can show him the real world problems of these approaches. Why ecactly they are called "non precision" approaches. And how far away from the runway they take you and how close to the obstacles. If he wants/needs extra practise at lower cost, then we will do it in the procedures trainer.

But under no circumstances will I ever fly a self-made, unapproved approach procedure and under even "less then no" circumstances will I ever teach someone to fly self-made, unapproved procedures. Flying is expensive. Training to fly is even more expensive. For good reasons!

Greetings, Max
Hello !

The easy way is to just take the students money and avoid using any imagination to improve training outcomes.

At my home field I always started the in the airplane NDB approach procedure at a nearby commercial radio station (all done in day ,good VFR conditions ,of course). It was a great spot as it was out of the way of all the regular traffic and you could get 3 times as many approachs done in a lesson as compared to what would be possible at the busy airport that was home base. IMO it was better training for the intial lessons because the student could concentrate on the procedure without being rushed around by ATC. I could also vary the final approach course to give a crosswind. After the student had a go at few of these approaches we would them graduate to the "show" and do the approaches at the airport.