PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Linux Corner
Thread: Linux Corner
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2010, 22:59
The late XV105

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scheduling jobs without crontab?

A question further to my post about reading SMART temperature values from a remote Linux box (in my case a Western Digital MyBook World Edition II NAS - White lights not Blue light model).

Thanks to some great help I received I now have a nice script that outputs this to a semi colon delimited log file along with timestamp, a disk identifier (there are two in the NAS) and the average load for the past fifteen minutes.

16/03/2010;22:48;A;41;0.13
16/03/2010;22:48;B;41;0.13

Having for reasons of time constraints tried to avoid a science project and wanted a plug and play solution this time round, it's actually been a lot of fun learning some basic Linux.

What I now have is perfect for me to write an Excel macro to chart against, so now I want to automatically run the job every six hours. Unfortunately though WD have stripped the MyBook's BusyBox compilation to the bone and it doesn't have crontab. Of course I can install crontab, but before I do is there another easy way of scheduling my script to run on an un-expiring six hourly cycle, please?