PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - how do i get my enthusiasm back for flying ?
Old 16th Mar 2010, 21:48
AdamFrisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's important to find your personal reason for flying. The thing that got you interested in the beginning (or in the end, for all purposes).

I can only speak for myself, but for me it was the prospect of traveling and being able to - although I'm not yet there without IFR or an own plane - actually use it as a tool for business. One of the things that gets me terribly excited is doing long trips to far away places. Of course I still bimble around the field occasionally, but I tend to always try something new or go somewhere, learn new things, see new airfields. Last time I went for tea in the Isle of Wight. 2,5hrs back and forth to Lydd, so rather expensive tea, but it was a great trip and it forced me to face my fear of flying over open waters.

I've been in and out of flying since my 20's, and there were long periods where I didn't fly and wasn't that interested. I've let my license lapse three times all in all. I got sidetracked by helicopters for a period, then money ran out, then disinterest, career etc. There are loads of things. What got me back this time was simply the lure of traveling, seeing new stuff, convenience and if at all possible, not have to stand in a stupid line at some airport being degraded by security people. If I can bypass that just once, then it's worth it for me.