PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBC NEWS: 'exploited by employers'
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2010, 21:18
unb5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pay to fly

Lets not forget that the various authorities have also allowed 200 hour pilots into the right seat. When they took away the commercial licence and replaced it with a "frozen ATPL " they sealed the deal for the masters of RyanAir and the likes....My frozen ATPL was gained in the sub Arctic flying to remote areas..
In Europe they never and still don't have the pleasure of flying around in smaller aircraft and learning the trade from the ground up. I have no problem training low time pilots on a jet aircraft as they have all passed the required exams and so forth. They do a job and should be compensated for it and have the self respect of their own worth. I knew when I started flying that I didn't have all the knowledge as that gained by an experienced Captain but I also knew that I had to work hard to get in the seat and therefore had a self worth to be paid.
Paying to fly is the same as nepotism and bribery and should be dealt with as such. People need to be hired on merit and dedication. Imagine a sloppy intern paying to operate on people or, to set it down a knotch, an alcoholic paying to get their drivers licence.