PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAA
Thread: RAA
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2010, 12:13
maverick22

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Well kids I guess that clears that one up then! I must say I have found the CASA flight crew licensing department to be quite good as of late as I have had several queries of my own regarding the regs and they have been quite prompt in ringing me back and also putting it in writing as well. Times must be changing.

With regard to the original post, from my own experience instructing both RAAus and GA, as much as I like to wave the RAAus flag I would say that if you are going down the commercial/airline path then you are wasting your time with RAAus flying. Not only has Horatio outlined this with regard to the aeronautical experience requirements for the CPL, but also at the end of the day GA time is always looks better than ultralight time in your logbook through the eyes of an airline. Sure, you can count up to 750 hrs of group A ultralight time towards your ATPL, but that's still no good to you if the airline you will potentially work for does not recognise that ultralight time to meet their own requirements.

Get your RAAus licence down the track so you can have some fun on the weekends, but otherwise stick to GA. Take it from someone who has been there and done that