PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA Cadet Pilot - All Batches, Merged
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2010, 13:41
lifegps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edwin, i think we might have met at SIATC on Friday. I was there about 2:25+pm, and my interview was 4pm.

Do you remember seeing a large yellow waterproof backpack? If you saw it, I think we might have been on the same couch...

From the experience, it seems that the questions asked are meant to see how well we can take "grilling" more than anything. One of my reservist friends came, and was asked how planes fly etc... and some other questions where a person sure wouldn't have a clue unless they have been well-read. I'm making a wild guess that the questions asked are free-flow, improvised on the spot without rehearsals since I don't really remember seeing Capt K and the HR girl refer to any printed materials on hand.

I think I screwed up big time because of a question asked in my case about why I left my previous job, and why I intend to leave the current one - and to join SIA as a cadet pilot. The specific part that got me, was a very general observation from Capt K said that I didn't seem to have any leadership roles that I took before, so why should I think I qualify to be a pilot, although this would be the exact words he said. Originally, I prepared my own answer for "what makes you think you want to be a pilot?"... however it was not of use, but it was good that I asked myself before the interview, to know myself better.

I'm wildguessing here, but really from the way it goes, it's not a scripted interview, yet all that are asked are very general, open-ended questions. I have no doubt that both Capt K and the HR girl are good at what they do.

I guess that technical questions are very close-ended, and it's a "loss" to the interviewers in the sense if they happen to be interviewing an aviation tech-nut... so ultimately the general flow, I would guess, would drift toward open-ended questions - of which picks out words we said - and ask a new question on it... it's like what something I heard of "questioning the question"... I wasn't asked a single technical question, or anything to do with hardware, nor mathematics.

If I were to be asked how I felt emotionally during the interview, it was
1. cordial (asking about background)
2. mildly imposing (when changed to asking why I left my previous job)
3. "put words in the mouth" when they used a word that I just said and repeatedly worked it on me
4. relief (by changing questions in the end)

I'd wager to say this is something similar to what a pilot might be handling in a bad flight... however with all that I mentioned so far, I recalled one thing after I stepped out feeling deflated... No-one can stop us from getting what we WANT, so long as we truly WANT it. (assuming clearing all pre-requisites)...