PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A glimmer of hope maybe
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2010, 00:22
Grass strip basher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I disagree with WWW. If you are a UK based wanabee things still look rubbish and are likely to remain so. The UK has solved none of its problems. The banks still have to refinance over GBP400bn of debt over the next 2-3 years (realistically only the government can fund this adding to their already huge debt pile). If sterling continues to weaken the likes of Ryan air and Easy have to suffer as the cost of those European weekends away goes through the roof.

A hung parliament will be a disaster and as sterling collapses the UK airlines will only suffer as fares have to increase and the cost of those overseas holidays goes up. A strike from BA can only compound their problems. I reckon we are 1 crisis down... 2 to go...

1) Financial crisis: Blame the bankers.... it is all their fault
2) Political crisis: hmmm maybe it wasn't all the bankers fault... lets blame the politicians (watch for this later this year/early 2011 when they start to cut public spending... I pity whoever wins this election)
3) Social unrest and ultimately social reform.... hmmm maybe it is the general public living beyong their means that is the problem... geeez maybe we should borrow less and save more?? Revolution!

The UK has more debt now than it did coming in to this crisis and the problem is solved??
I left the UK 2-3 years ago and have lived in the middle east and Asia since.... there are oppotunities here but it is becoming tougher and tougher as an expat to get you foot in the door as these markets mature the nod will always be given to locals first. I would love to agree with WWW but sorry way too soon to sound the all clear.