PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2010, 18:17
ChristiaanJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machinbird
First "super-stall" is not a well defined term. Perhaps it should be defined as an aircraft that will lock itself into an irrecoverable stall (one that cannot be recovered from no matter what combination of control inputs are made).
From an ancient...

One... I agree the "super-stall" terminology shouldn't really be used... It applies / applied mostly to T-tailed aircraft where the aircraft ended up in a 'locked-in' high-AoA attitude with the stalled airflow from the wing totally blanking the horizontal tail / elevator, leaving the aircraft to mush into the ground without any pitch control left to the pilot.

Two...
Deep stalls are generally achievable on swept wing aircraft by virtue of the pitch up characteristic at stall. Deep stalls have no place in airline flying. Airbus has built a series of protections into their flight control system to prevent achieving a deep stall.
Once all these 'protections' of the 'flight control system' have been exhausted.... I have the impression there is no way the aircraft is fully "handed back to the pilots" to try and fly out of the situation themselves.... even if possibly the control authority (in terms of control surface deflection) might still have been there.

I've worked on AFCS a long way back, not on the current video game cockpits.

I'm not trying to be a wise guy either, just to understand.... which is why I'm still following this thread, BTW.

CJ