PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB Report: Glass cockpits have not led to expected safety improvements
Old 14th Mar 2010, 00:01
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
I have in the back of my mind the concept of an alternative display that mimics traditional instruments but is actually glass (electronic). It would be a good system in training aircraft but being so out of touch now (12th year of retirement), for all I know such things already exist
I first flew a glass cockpit 737-300 in 1990 and had no trouble converting from the analogue 737-200. To me the glass cockpit was nothing more than a pretty looking ADI and HSI. I hardly ever used the MAP mode apart from curiosity because I could constantly fix my position with the usual combination of RMI needles, DME and VOR/ILS course indicators. I suppose you could call it the big picture.

It was around then that some airlines operating the new 737-300 took the option of staying with the standard flight instrument panel of round dials in one screen that was available in EFIS form. I believe that was a good idea because it avoided the danger of fixation on one instrument that had so much glass cockpit information presented on it - the ADI and its peripherals within that instrument such as drum ASI, IVSI, LOC and GS, ground speed and radio altimeter etc.

Instrument scan was required just like the 737-200 and pilots had no problem with rusty scan technique that is now the bane of the current generation of flight crew. But there again, isn't the current thinking by airlines that instrument scan is far less important that the past generation of pilots think - if only because the name of the game is full use of all automatics from lift off to touch down and everything is done for you by the PFM boxes?

I often wonder how many operators retain that glass cockpit concept of standard round dials? Not many, I bet.