PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB Report: Glass cockpits have not led to expected safety improvements
Old 13th Mar 2010, 22:16
p51guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We went to Capetown, South Africa a few years ago and coming home to the US my pilot friend and I along with our wives were invited up to the cockpit in mid flight. It was a 747-400 with a glass cockpit. We had a long chat with the captain, invited him to the Reno Air Races, and he was happy to have somebody to talk to. This was prior to 9/11.

I didn't want to show my ignorance so didn't ask but it took me 15 minutes to find our altitude on the glass cockpit. Maybe the suggestion of a glass cockpit rating is warranted. Seems like overkill but maybe a glass cockpit panel signoff, like being signed off for x-country as a student pilot would be good. I see a lot of my friends being concerned about if they are getting a glass sim or not on their next training. Most have little or no exposure to it.

I remember our 2 day course to qualify for our new B737 300 from the 200 using computer trainers. Two months later you got your first flight and you can guess how that went because the FO had the same training. They said you would learn it on the line. From who?