PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A glimmer of hope maybe
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2010, 16:18
quagmiregiggidy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The way I see things(im no expert but I see things from right in the middle of the mix at the moment),there are positions for first officers, but these are very limited, and for the average bod who wants to stay in the UK and bring a family up they are like rocking horse poo.
There are currently only a few ways to get airline employment at the moment.
Heres my experience following recent mass redundency and the requirements to get hired.
a) have over 2000 hours Jet time preferably glass cockpit time, even better if its an airbus, and even better if you speak an additional language or are resident in a country who only take their own nationals.
b) have over 500 hours either on type or are wealthy enough to pay for ones rating and have a a degree.(Korean)
c) the integrated route with a provider who will place you with an airline.(is there such a thing still going)
d) integrated or modular then the Ryan air cadet scheme (not a hope with them as an experienced F.O), or CTC for the likes of Easyjet.
It seems the instructor route,hours building route, or type rating route with some line flying are at least for now not going to provide that lucky break for most.
For anyone who started airline flying within the last 12 to 24 months,who has under 2000 hours total, with less than 1500 hours on type or who has recently qualified, things will be a big struggle.
I have the feeling that the people who need to be most aware of the current and likely future hiring position are those more mature wannabees who intend to go down the modular route and hours build or buy a rating.I wouldnt do it.
It is a terrible place to be at the moment (an unemployed airline pilot) but if you are lucky, have lots of hours on type and or are willing to live somewhere far away from home or be in the same position this time next year, then there are certain jobs.
Is it perking up as WWW states? well I think it depends what he means. If he means that the market as whole is improving then he is not correct, far from it.
If he means that there is a positive blip at the moment then that is correct, but dont be fooled, that is the usual pre summer improvement and overall doesnt reduce the numbers of umemployed pilots long term, with the exception of the middle east.
If you have the experience there are certain contracts out there or 'careers' in Doha, but if your starting out and have a new blue book, without the bank of mum dad behind you then your up the creek without the paddles.If you do have the funds, for goodness sake dont do a type rating unless you have a job offer at the end of it.
I was one of the pre Christmas airline administration casualties and while most if not all of us are now employed its been a tough few months searching. The middle east soaked up about 50 percent of us requiring those 2000 hours, all but a few that were left are on six month contracts with the likes of JET 2, Viking or abroad in deepest darkest Africa, and the odd lucky one got a full time position with an airline.
In six months time lots of us will be signing on again as those contracts finish, then there will be more experienced first officers chasing jobs once again. Is it picking up ,overall the answer is no, its just a bit of a small wave at the moment, the summers coming so people have been taken on, those same people will be making the new year 2011 up turn look good again too, after Christmas on the dole. In the mean time , we have a budget to come as well as an election in the UK with the resulting cuts to attempt to drag us out of our near bankrupt state;together with the real possibility of the UKs largest carrier going to the wall and flooding the market with experienced pilots.
And for those currently employed in this uncertain world, I offer this advice, the time from redundency to re employement for those of us who have just been through it has been on average been about 2 to 3 months for a line Capt, and 4 to 5 months for a line F.O. so make sure you have those funds set aside to feed your nearest and dearest.
In summary, there is movement in the middle east for experienced F.O.s and there are temp contracts for F.O.s in Europe, but for wanabees, its same ole same ole.