PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - If you were lost would you say so??
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2010, 14:23
eocvictim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whereas the map reading method works only if

- VMC, and
- not much haze, and
- you fly over a feature-rich landscape
- you have chosen clear unambiguous waypoints, and
- your stopwatch is always wound up and restarted correctly, and
- you don't deviate from the planned route (things get a lot more involved if you do)

etc...
When I was an instructor I would include all of the above (where possible haze isn't always an issue) in a PPL nav ex. Fairly ambiguous waypoints (where small powerlines intersect was a favourite) over fairly featureless terrain over 100nm with a deviation mid track; all done with map and timing, no additional aids. Such is life when flying in Aus.

I was happy for a student to get lost so long as they found there location without any help. A part of the final nav ex's the student was to fly low level for 20nm then fly IF for 10-20mins conducting several turns and all the standard IF components (climbing/descending etc). I would then take them out from under the hood give them an engine failure. After completing the forced landing they were expected to find their location and take us home.

Call my harsh but I never had a problem handing them over for test and was more than happy to sign them out on a cross country flight.

Good to hear that a student has been taught not to be afraid of ATC/centre/info.