PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sunderland Flying Boat
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2010, 12:59
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless I've missed it somewhere, I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the Sunderland at IWM Duxford.

There is also some good if brief footage of a Sunderland in the film ' Yangtse Incident ', about HMS Amethyst.

As for the Sandringham - whatever Kermit Weeks has now, I remember it well at Calshot, made quite a stir among us yachties when it came out down the Solent for a run !

The sailing photographer Beken of Cowes took plenty of shots.

Old Hairy ( I'm guessing your callsign involves a certain rock near Studland ) you really should write a book, no joking, I think a lot of people here would agree.

Now something very sad, sorry about this but I think worth mentioning; sometime, I would guess late 1940's or 1950's, a number of Sunderlands ( so the story goes ) were in derelict state on moorings in Poole Harbour.

I cannot reason why, as the scrap value even then must have been significant, but they were towed out and scuttled in the relatively deep waters of Poole bay.

I'd think due to it being a lee shore and subject to strong tides, any salvage attempt would only find bits, but the area is very popular with divers so I'd have thought they may have something to add.

My dad was ashore from his boat at Studland in the mid 1980's and he ( lifelong aircraft engineer ) found a large aircraft wheel washed up...

On a happier note, a Sunderland is being recovered from where it sank at it's mooring in Wales, and another has been said to be found at the bottom of Loch Ness; a spray of WD40 and she'll be a flyer ?!

Last edited by Double Zero; 13th Mar 2010 at 18:47.