PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular Path - Advice
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2010, 12:38
CraigyD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modular is certainly the way to go. I went to the states and got an FAA PPL last year in 4 weeks (stayed another 4 as my company went into administration when I was away ) at the cost of £8k which included all training and solo flight for the licence (44hrs) and about 20 or so hours P1 after, flights to LA and back, accomodation, food, pocket money and a long weekend trip to San Francisco. Had a great time and made some great friends.

Working as cabin crew now saving as I study for ATPLs, hope to finish these next April. Im flying as and when I can at the moment, funds and weather permitted. Then heading back to the USA to have an adventure and finish hour building, maybe flying around the whole of the States. This will be about £4-5k or so. Im interested in having a good time, which of course, you should as after all thats why we all fly.....

I'll then hit the CPL part time in the summer and use the remainder of holiday to get it done (hopes ). The following year or year after, the ME-IR (hoping EASA will be kind to us in 2012 and give credit for the JAA licenses (sure they will, won't they?!)). Once done, I'll head to the African bush for some real flying.

Im saving £1k a month. Ok, I live at home, pay little rent and have no major outgoings which helps but using the situation to my advantage. If I need to save for longer, I will. Im in no rush. I do not want any debt and I believe it can be done.

Do take your time, enjoy yourself. Flying is not all about having epaulets on your shoulders (Having seen a recent advert from an FTO boiled my blood. Only thing in the shot was a shoulder with three bar epaulets. No planes, not even a wispy cloud.)

Happy flying and good luck

Craigyd